Historic Sherwood Forest District

Sherwood Forest was platted in 1917 and is made up of two subdivisions: Sherwood Forest and Sherwood Forest Manor. Sherwood Forest Manor is the property on Parkside and Refrew between Cambridge and Pembroke. Sherwood Forest is the rest of the community. Most of Sherwood Forest’s approximately 435 homes were built in the late 1920’s and 1930’s. The neighborhood boundaries are Seven Mile Road on the south, Livernois on the west, Pembroke on the north and Parkside on the east. We are located in a tranquil setting, but are just a few minutes from downtown, with easy access to shopping and all major freeways.

The Sherwood Forest Association was formed in the summer of 1929 and has been active ever since. Thanks to the tireless efforts of volunteers over the years, the Association can claim many significant accomplishments that have enhanced the quality of the neighborhood.

In 2002, Sherwood Forest was designated a Detroit Historic District and honored with a Detroit Historic District Commission award for maintaining and preserving our historic neighborhood. In 2003, we launched a successful series of "Meet and Greets," Sunday afternoon parties in the homes of our residents. In the summer of 2005, we held the first of our summer jazz concerts and picnics in Sherwood Park on Canterbury.